Hoop Nut's Pageviews

HoopNut's Archive

If you liked this tale, you'll like these too:

Search This Blog


Powered by ShoutJax


Your Hoop Nuts

My photo
Teacher. Writer. Baller. Gamer. Son. Brother. Husband. Father.





Image Map

A Brighter Philippines





This 2009, the Ateneo de Manila University is celebrating its Sesquicentennial year. The main theme for this year’s 150th anniversary is “Building the Nation”. There are numerous national heroes, martyrs, and other famous personnel that have contributed to making this country a better place. For instance, there is one particular Atenean who has used his talents, skills, intelligence, and determination in order to relieve the Philippines from the dictatorial regime of former President Ferdinand Marcos. He dedicated his entire life in order to promote human rights, human dignity, democracy, and other values of an ideal Christian and Philippine society. As a young aspiring lawyer, Evelio Javier is considered as one of the youngest prominent Filipino leaders who have exhibited love and dedication for his country. He helped free most Filipino citizens from the iron hand of the Marcos government.
Inspired by the nationalistic example of Evelio Javier, I too can contribute my talents, skills, and knowledge for the benefit of this country. Like him, I can dedicate my studies, my ambitions, and my whole life to discerning what I can do to improve the Philippine’s state of poverty, violence, and oppression. The three ways by which I can help my beloved country rise from the ashes are respecting other people’s rights and dignity, aspiring for higher endeavors in my life as a student and as a Filipino citizen, and obeying the rules and regulations in my society.
There is a common notion that most Ateneans are arrogant people. Some say that they treat other people without the respect due to every human person. For instance, it is common to see in the UAAP games how some Ateneans tend to jeer against the other schools whenever Ateneo loses or whenever the officials of the game make some calls against the ADMU team. It is surprisingly ironic to think that here in the Ateneo, students are being trained to exercise the values of respect, love, and solidarity in order to foster the ideal society in which peace and harmony reigns. However, some of them exhibit the exact opposite of what they are being trained to do. For example, during the ADMU-DLSZ basketball game in the Araneta Coliseum, there were some high school students from the Ateneo crowd who jeer, and shout words of outmost disrespect towards the De La Salle fans. Certainly, these are not the Ateneo values that should be projected to other people in society.
Like Evelio Javier, I can be one of the few Ateneans who truly promote the dignity of every human person in my society. Simple acts like greeting my teachers everyday, helping our class janitors maintain the neatness and orderliness of the classrooms, thanking the guards who help me cross the street safely, frequently speaking with my household helpers, obeying my parents and avoiding answering back at them, and the like will train me as early as possible to exercise the necessary values and attitudes fit for an ideal Atenen and for an authentic Christian. Evelio Javier had nearly everything any person would want: quality education, intelligence, and a position in the government. Yet, he chose not to let the Marcos regime hinder him from using his position in the government and in society in order to protect others form the unjust reign. Hopefully, I can also use my God-given talents and skills in order to promote the worth of the people in my society.
Ever since I entered the Ateneo de Manila High School, I have constantly been an honor student. I always make it a point to be one of the top students in my class in our long tests, quizzes, and in other academic activities. I have aspired to be one of the best in order to impress my parents, my classmates, my friends, myself. However, the most basic reason why I choose to excel in my academics is the desire to maximize the quality education being given to me by the Ateneo. Just like Evelio Javier who aimed to be a great lawyer, I also desire to be a successful person. As Fr. Eli Lumbo said in the Saint Stanislaus Kostka Mass earlier, “success is becoming what God wants you to be,” I want to become the excellent person my Heavenly Father created me to become. I know that He wants me to try my best to do extremely well in all my endeavors, including non-academic goals, in order for me to have the necessary means like, intelligence, financial resources, and Christian values, in order to serve my country. By being a consistent honor student, hopefully I can graduate from the Ateneo as a lucrative person in order for me to properly serve my brethren.
Nowadays, most laws, regulations, and policies in the Philippines get either violated or manipulated for the convenience of others. Examples of these laws include the truck ban, the number coding laws, and waste segregation policies. As an Atenean, I am being trained to obey the laws posed to me by my society. How can I serve my country effectively if I, myself, cannot abide by the necessary rules and regulations? As such, by cooperating with simple everyday policies such as the haircut rule, academic dishonesty, complete uniform, I can effectively show a proper example to my fellow Ateneans and to my fellow Filipino citizens. As Mr. Herminio D. Brazal, a TD teacher exclaimed, “It is the spririt of the law that counts,” I will strive to do my best to strictly obey the laws and other policies of my society.
In the end, to be like Evelio Javier is to be the person God is calling each of us to become. God wants us to love and serve our nation and the other people in our society. Like Evelio Javier, I hope to exhibit the Magis to make my country a better place to live in. As early as today, I will start striving for a better and brighter future for my nation.

Share this:

 
Copyright © Hoop Nut Test. Designed by OddThemes | Distributed By Blogger Templates20